Access the power of Visible Alpha from within Microsoft Excel using our new Add-In. All of the data in our platform can now be pulled directly into Excel with just a few clicks.
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher
- Microsoft Excel 2010 (32/64-bit) or higher
- .Net framework 4.0 or higher
- Administrative rights to install applications on your computer
- Users can download the Excel Add-In from the homepage of the Visible Alpha web platform.
- Select the link to download the file. Once the download is complete, double click the .exe file to start the installation process.
- Follow the instructions in the popup to complete the installation.
- Once the Excel Add-In has been installed, you will be prompted to enter your Visible Alpha credentials.
- At the login prompt, please enter your Username and Password, which are the same as what you use to access the Visible Alpha platform.
- Select Sign In
Once the Excel Add-In has been installed, you should see the following toolbar:
- Download Worksheets
- Insert/Edit Formula
- Additional Tools
- Audit Formula
- Unlink Cells
- Visible Alpha Website
For a description of each of the functions, see below.
The most efficient way to download Visible Alpha data is to use the “Download Worksheets” button in the toolbar.
The Download Worksheet function will give you access to all the data in a statement or view, matching the content available on the Visible Alpha platform.
After selecting Download Worksheets in the toolbar, the following dialog will appear:
1. Start by entering a Company Name or Ticker
2. Select from the following types of data:
- Company Template Views or Additional Views for consensus data
- Analyst Published models
3. Select the data sources you want to use. Your options include:
- Consensus, broker and filings for Company Template and Additional Views
- Broker sources only if you select Analyst Published Models
4. Next, select the financial statements and views you want to download in the Statements section. Your options here will vary based on the data types and sources selected.
By Default, the download will include 2 historical periods and 3 forecast periods. To download additional periods, use the Insert/Edit Formula function or type the formulas directly into the spreadsheet.
To pull a value directly into Excel using a formula, use the “Insert/Edit Formula” function in the toolbar.
The following dialog box will appear once you've selected the Insert/Edit formula function.
1. Start by entering a Company Name or Ticker in the Ticker box.
2. In the Source section, select the source you want to use. For a list of all the sources available, select the options button to the right of the entry field. The source options include: Consensus, Filings and Individual Brokers based on your entitlements.
3. Select the View you want to use. The view options are:
- NMV for Company Template Views
- SCH for Additional Views
- SAR for Analyst Published Model views
4. To add a Line Item, click the search icon to open line item lookup. From here, you can either select from all the line items available in a view or you can search for a particular line item using the search bar.
5. To choose a Period, click the search icon to open financial period lookup, and select a period from the dropdown box. You can then select the date format in the Optional Date Formatting.
6. Optional Items include:
- Adjustments: You can choose the method of adjusting for missing data. Two methods are available: IMPL for Inferred and RAW for Non-Inferred.
- Revision: By default, we are including the revision as of the current date. You can also choose revision by typing a desired as-of date, or by entering "PreQ."
- Growth rates: In addition to the latest consensus and broker data, you can now pull Year over Year % (YoY%) and Sequential % (Seq%) growth rate data for the line items important to you.
7. The feature is also available as a right click menu item within the Excel grid.
8. Alternatively, you can type formula directly into Excel using the following formula logic: VAData ("Ticker", "Period", "Line Item")
You can pull in broker count, median, high and low values for Visible Alpha consensus numbers through the Additional Tools button on the Visible Alpha Add-In toolbar. Through the tool, gauge the dispersion around consensus numbers by downloading the standard deviation or coefficient of variation.
Choose the cell with Consensus values as the input cell and the statistical measure you would like to pull through the drop down. Finally choose where you would like see the output and click on OK.
- You can also use the Insert/Edit Formula function to resolve a formula returning errors as result
- To resolve the error, open the Insert/Edit Formula dialogue through either the toolbar button or right-click menu
- Incorrect items are highlighted in red and can be resolved within the dialog box
To view the logic behind a particular data point, select the "Audit Formula" icon. The popup window that appears next will allow you to audit the data point all the way down to the location of that value in an analyst/broker model.
This feature is also available as a right-click menu item within the Excel grid.
This function only works on cells that contain a Visible Alpha formula.
- This allows you to lookup tickers by Company Name or Stock Ticker.
- The feature is also available as a right-click menu item within the Excel grid.
- This allows you to lookup and insert available financial periods of a certain ticker.
- Search and select the company by company name or stock ticker
- Select a period from the dropdown box
- Choose the date format in the Optional Date Formatting section.
To pull new values into your spreadsheet, select the “Refresh” button.
When refreshing a spreadsheet, you have three options:
- Refresh the entire workbook
- Only refresh the worksheet in focus
- Refresh cells highlighted (only works on cells containing Visible Alpha formulas). The feature is also available as a right click menu item within the Excel grid.
Unlink Cells can help you with replacing cells containing Visible Alpha formulas with actual values in one step.
When unlinking Visible Alpha formulas in a spreadsheet, you have three options:
- Unlink all Visible Alpha formulas in the entire workbook
- Unlink Visible Alpha formulas in the worksheet in focus
- Only unlink Visible Alpha formulas in the range of highlighted cells
This function will only remove Visible Alpha formulas in your selected range. Non-Visible Alpha formulas will not be changed by using this function. Once a Visible Alpha formula is unlinked it cannot be undone.
Selecting the “Visible Alpha Website” button will take you to the Visible Alpha web application by opening either a new browser or a new browser window.
In Settings, you can select the "Profile" button to sign in/sign out of your Visible Alpha account, send us feedback, or visit our Support Center.
Selecting the Options button will allow you to set your preferred date format.